Lionel Van Reet is a Brussels-based Customs & International Trade Partner. Lionel is heading heading up PwC’s Customs & International Trade Belgian team. Lionel has also been appointed as PwC Europe Customs coordinator.
Over his 15+ years of experience in the field of Customs, International Trade, Excises and Energy Taxes, Lionel has acquired an extensive experience in the following areas:
- Project leader on large tax aligned supply-chain optimisation projects (including: Global Trade compliance software implementation for pan-European activities)
- Throughout the years, Lionel has gathered first-hand knowledge of the Customs valuation challenges (i.e. Royalties & Licences, Year-end adjustments, Optimization of customs value method,…) faced by companies operating across the globe in various regions (US, EU, China,…).
- Set-up of both a customs corporate functions (to streamline and maximise efficiency) and regional customs support functions in shared service centres.
- Engagement Manager of the implementation of the AEO certification at Belgian Customs Authorities (1 ½ year project).
- “Cash-flow optimisation” assignments in various sectors (Food, Automotive, Chemicals, Pharma & Healthcare, Transportation) including working capital optimization, broker rationalizations projects;
- Implement creative & efficient customs approved structure in various EU Member States in M&A deals (i.e. duty refund projects)
- Major knowledge of trade management, compliance and risk technical solutions (e.g. SAP GTS, Oracle GTM, Conex, Descartes, Track On Trade, …).
- Major classification assignments (mass classification projects) for the Pharma & Healthcare & Manufacturing (Automotive & Steel) industries.
Lionel has a Master in Finance and Business Administration. He speaks fluently French (native), Dutch, English and Italian.
Lionel has also been General Manager for a textile company between 2005 and 2007.